Romhelp

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

German Vice Consular writes me about flood victims

In November last year Martin Fingerle and I visited Hilmar Münch, vice consular at the German Consulate in Sibiu, Romania. Since then we have been staying in touch.
I had written Hilmar about wanting to deliver aid to flood victims - here his reply:


Hallo Herr Walker,
ich habe Sie nicht vergessen. Ich bin am Ball und hoffe, daß es morgen eine Antwort gibt (positiv)! Ich war am Samstag im Überschwemmungsgebiet mit einem privaten Hilfskonvoi den wir hier in Hermannstadt (Wirtschaft, Ev. Kirche und Mitarbeiter des GK) zusammengestellt haben. Mir sind die Tränen gekommen. Besonders die alten Menschen die alles verloren haben. So was von Hilflosigkeit dem Schicksal gegenüber, so was von Traurigkeit in den alten Leuten. Ich bin da ganz ehrlich, daß muß ich mir nicht so oft antun !! Da leide ich selbst drunter.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Hilmar Münch


Hello Mr. Walker
I have not forgotten you.
I am keeping at it and hope to have an answer for you tomorrow (positive).
I was in the flooded region on Saturday with a private relief convoi, that was put together here in Hermannstadt (German name for Sibiu) (by businesses, protestant church and members of the consulate general.
Tears came to my eyes. Especially elderly people who have lost everything. Such helplesness in the face of such a fate, what a despair in those elderly people!
I will be up front with you: I cannot go through this too often! It greatly affected me!
Greetings
Hilmar Münch

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home